To spruce up your home on a budget, check out these five ideas for projects that yield maximum results with minimal effort and cost:
- Paint: All you need is a can of paint to make big changes. Completely transform the mood of a room, or turn your front door into the main attraction of your porch. You can even paint a tile backsplash or turn worn vinyl flooring into something that resembles stone.
- Lighting: If you have lamps, you don’t necessarily need new ones — simply changing lamp shades is a great way to update a room. You also can install new overhead lighting, such as a pendant lamp, or add inexpensive LED strips underneath your kitchen cabinets. Finally, dimmer switches can cast a whole new glow on your lighting options.
- Furniture: You don’t need to buy new furniture to have “new” furniture. A slipcover or new upholstery can refresh a tired couch or chair. Or, if you like your pieces the way they are, why not rearrange them? That won’t cost you anything at all.
- Don’t forget the hardware: Do your cabinet pulls and handles look dated or worn? Replacing them will make a bigger difference than you might think. And, while you can buy new ones at a local home improvement or department store, check online auction sites or local “free-cycle” groups for other interesting options. A new faucet for your bathroom or kitchen is another great update that won’t break your budget.
- Take a look outside: Spruce up your porch and create an inviting atmosphere with container plants, which are easy to swap out. A new welcome mat, door-knocker or house numbers could further lend an entirely new feel to your curb appeal.